As with the 2020 season, the Gleaning Program will go ahead this year but in an altered fashion to accommodate physical distancing.
All gleaners who have attended an orientation within the past 4 years and wish to join the 2021 season are asked to sign up without attending the full orientation again. There are two ways you can sign up.
- Attend a sign-up session in person (dates below). You will need to fill out a membership form and submit payment. Please bring exact change for your fee as we will not be making change (the fee is a sliding scale between $15-$25) or have a cheque made out to Nanaimo Community Gardens Society. This will be done in the gazebo at the Pine St Community Garden and everyone will be asked to follow physical distancing guidelines and wear masks
- Print and mail in a membership form (attached) and payment. This will take longer and you may miss out on some early picks. Be sure to include your cheque for payment. Mail in information is contained on the membership form
A hard or digital copy of our latest orientation will be provided to you so that you can see what protocols are in place for gleaning in 2021. As always, contact Lee at 250-816-4769 if you have any questions about if you need to attend an orientation this year.
Sign-up sessions for returning gleaners will be:
- Saturday May 29, 10am-11am (before or after the orientation, please)
- Monday May 31, 1pm-2pm (before or after the orientation)
- Wednesday June 2, 11am-2pm (drop in anytime)
- Friday June 4, 6pm-7pm (before or after the orientation)
- Sunday June 6, 10am-11am (before or after the orientation)
- Wednesday June 9, 11am-3pm (drop in anytime)
- Sunday June 13 noon – 1pm (before or after the orientation)
If you haven’t been a gleaner for this program before you will need to attend a mandatory safety orientation. The orientations will be held in the Pine St Community Garden behind the Foodshare Centre at 271 Pine St. While the open-air gazebo in the garden can accommodate a few people, larger numbers cannot be sufficiently distanced so rain may limit the number of gleaners who can attend. Please attend one of the orientation dates below to join the program. You do not have to pre-register for a session – just show up! Remember to invite any friends or family that want to glean with you. Non-registered gleaners are not permitted on picks. Latecomers are disruptive and may miss important information about the program so please be on time. There will be time to answer all your questions about the program. Please remember to wear a mask.
You will need to fill out a membership form and submit payment. Please bring exact change for your fee as we will not be making change (the fee is a sliding scale between $15-$25) or have a cheque made out to Nanaimo Community Gardens Society.
The dates for 2021 orientations are:
- Saturday May 29, 10am-11am
- Monday May 31, 1pm-2pm
- Friday June 4, 6pm-7pm
- Sunday June 6, 10am-11am
- Sunday June 13, noon-1pm
Protocols for 2021 will be explained and a hard or digital copy of our latest orientation will be provided to you for review at any time. Call Lee at 250-816-4769 if you have questions about the program or the orientations.